Spouse Benefits and Assistance

Education Benefits
9/11 GI Bill benefits for education is probably one our greatest benefits of being in the Military. The 9/11 GI Bill, you can transfer to spouse or dependents. 

An eligible Service member may transfer up to the total months of unused Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits, or the entire 36 months if the member has used none.

Family member use of transferred educational benefits is subject to the following:
Spouse: May start to use the benefit immediately.
May use the benefit while the member remains in the Armed Forces or after separation from active duty. Can use the benefit for up to 15 years before 2013 of the service member's last separation form active duty, or no expiration after 2013 separation.

Child: May start to use the benefit only after the individual making the transfer has completed at least 10 years of service in the Armed Forces. May use the benefit while the eligible individual remains in the Armed Forces or after separation from active duty.
May not use the benefit until he/she has attained a secondary school diploma (or equivalency certificate), or reached 18 years of age. Is entitled to the monthly housing allowance even though the member is on active duty. Is not subject to the 15-year delimiting date, but may not use the benefit after reaching 26 years of age.

Here's the info on the transfer of GI bill to dependents and spouse. http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/post911_transfer.asp


Thanks for reading and please share your experiences with me on my FB group, HAWAII MILITARY LIFE, so we can help others. I mainly post Local Hawaii events and information in that group. And if you are retiring or transitioning, please join our HAWAII MILITARY RETIRED VETERANS LIFE Facebook group. 

HAWAII MILITARY LIFE is a NEW 2017 group. We try to look for a lot of FREE events or discounts for Military. We also post PCS instructions, shipping a car dealing with pets, BAH, and anything related to Military commands in Hawaii. This group is NOT FOR PROFIT so we are REAL DoD families helping each other. You can search through our Facebook site using key words on the left column. https://www.facebook.com/groups/1483172141727626/ 
















  Hickam Air Station

Hickam Air Station

Employment info

The MyCAA employment assistance program provides up to $4,000 of financial assistance to eligible military spouses who are pursuing a license, certification or Associatess degree in a portable career field and occupation.  Click on the link to view MyCAA school’s in Hawaii:

Read more: http://militarybenefits.info/mycaa-schools-by-state/#ixzz4hVBYYwoP

Mil spouse preference - finding a job

Register for the Mil spouse preference at your base personnel office. You can be put on priority placement for jobs you qualify for but you have a 2 year window for which to do this from your orders start date. 

You can find more info on this here. 

Starting your own business

Thinking of starting your own woman or veteran owned small business? Want to learn how to get set up to bid on contracts? The Small Business Administration has great information on how to do this.

Military spouses make great entrepreneurs, and small business ownership can be a transportable, flexible vocation that supports a military career. SBA’s Office of Veterans Business Development (OVBD) empowers military spouse entrepreneurs and business owners by providing the same counseling and training, access to capital, and disaster assistance that are provided to service members and veterans. 

They have free seminars and training events. 

Working in Hawaii paying Hawaii state taxes

Mil spouses know, since 2009, you can retain your home of residency of our sponsor while pcsing. But when you get a job in Hawaii you still have to pay local HI state income tax which is the highest in the nation I found out. Hawaii has five tax brackets which are based on income level so the more you make the more you pay. 

Here are some Mil spouse HI tax facts to guide you next year. http://files.hawaii.gov/tax/legal/taxfacts/tf97-02.pdf

If you have to quit your job because of your Mil spouse’s new assignment, you may be eligible for unemployment.

Forty-six states have laws or regulations that may qualify you for unemployment insurance (UI) when you resign from your position to move with your Military service member. Check with your state employment office.


Mil spouses looking for a Marine corps civilian NAF job? External hires are your link to local Hawaii positions at MCB Kaneohe and Camp Smith.